ABOUT THE PROGRAMME
What is Matalan Sporting Promise?
Matalan Sporting Promise, in partnership with the Youth Sport Trust, is committed to getting more young people taking part in more sport.
The programme comprises two strands of work
The first aims to support primary school teachers in improving the PE experience for all children through the ‘Matalan TOP Sport’ strand.
The second, which the UKDBA is involved in, will re-engage young people at secondary level by giving them the opportunity to take part in non-traditional sporting activities through the ‘Matalan yoUR Activity’ strand.
MATALAN YOUR ACTIVITY
There are nine sports involved in Matalan yoUR Activity. These are:
• Parkour • Street Cheer • Jump Rope
• Ultimate Frisbee • Dodgeball • Tchoukball
• Orienteering • Rowing • Softball
As part of this programme the UKDBA has developed specific resources, in the form of an interactive DVD, that go hand in hand with training directed at school staff and young people. They are then tasked with introducing the sport in their school with the aim of creating an after school club(s).
In year 1 the programme has engaged 100 secondary schools with each school selecting which sport they want to introduce based on priority areas for our sport. The programme will expand to 400 schools in year 2.
Why do schools need this?
Matalan yoUR Activity aims to deal with a number of challenges faced by schools and young people such as:
1. Responding to the drop off in sports participation in 14-16 year olds
2. Equipping young people with the ability and desire to sustain their involvement in sporting activity beyond their school life
3. Improving and widening the sports offer in schools
4. Motivating young people to take responsibility for themselves
Checkout what Olympian Sir Steve Redgrave says about Dodgeball...